2.29.2012

Coconut Shrimp Gratin

It seems like the benefits of coconut oil are everywhere these days. After using it to care for my dry skin and hair for months, I decided to use it properly for once and cook with it. Go figure. This dish is a play on the ever-popular coconut fried shrimp, but I’ve side-stepped the pesky breading and frying process. And, contrary to its alternative, coconut shrimp gratin is über nutritious thanks to the healthy fats found in the coconut oil. Panko breadcrumbs and toasted coconut make a deliciously crunchy topping that certainly won’t have you missing the fried version. In fact, the only thing that’s missing is the moisture in my skin and hair. Go figure.

Coconut Shrimp Gratin
Serves 2

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil (found in health stores)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
¼ cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg white
½ pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined
Splash lemon juice
Parsley for garnish


Method

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a non-stick pan over medium heat, toast the shredded coconut until slightly golden and then set aside. In a small bowl, combine coconut oil, lemon juice, parsley, breadcrumbs, salt, egg white, and shredded coconut. Stir until combined. (Note: coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so you can soften it first with a spoon or quickly warm it in the microwave.)

Divide the shrimp between two 4 ½ inch ramekin dishes. Add a splash of lemon juice and then top with the breadcrumb topping. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes. Broil for a few extra minutes to brown the topping, if necessary. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!

P.S. If you like this recipe, try my Coconut-Ginger Quinoa with Carrots and Shrimp. Click here for the recipe!

9 comments:

Liza in Ann Arbor said...

Anything that says "gratin", I'm in! Plus, I just discovered a charming little food co-op very close to my house. I bet they'd have the oil.

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Hey Liza! Yup, I'm sure the co-op is all about coconut oil. People here in Colorado are crazy about it.

Chloe@EveryCraving said...

This sounds/looks amazing! It sucks I'm allergic to shrimp. You're taunting me! haha :P

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Aw, Chloe that makes me so sad! I should tell you that this recipe is terrible and that you're not missing anything. That would be a lie of course, though :)

kale said...

One of my best friends used coconut oil to prepare her fish as a "special treat" for us and it was SO overpowering! I was surprised cause it seemed like a cool idea. Then she explained she had used the whole jar. AH! Yeah.... that's why!

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Kale, that's hilarious! Yeah, a little goes a loooong way!

kyleen said...

Mhmm I love anything with coconut oil. This gratin looks delicious. I can imagine how crispy and delicious ad golden brown the top is.

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Kyleen, it is indeed crispy and delicious. You are correct, ma'am!

Kristie and Jared said...
This comment has been removed by the author.