12.18.2011

Cherry & Chamomile Nightcap


I come from a long line of troubled sleepers. I’ve tried all types of aids – Melatonin, Ambien, stiff drink, yoga, you name it. I had a brief and quite toxic relationship with NyQuil in college, but that faded out. You’re supposed to experiment in college, right? For me, Tylenol PM just backfires and gives me enough energy to run six miles at 3 a.m. True story. What makes matters even worse is that Thomas can fall into a deep slumber anytime, anywhere. I’ve spent many a night enviously watching him drift into a blissful night’s rest. Creepy, but true.

As an attempt to cure my chronic insomnia, I came up with a nightcap featuring all types of natural sleep aids. Warm milk, chamomile tea, honey, cinnamon, and tart cherry juice help the body miraculously produce melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep. This drink not only helps me sleep soundly, but it also happens to taste delicious! So long, sleepless nights. Now, I don’t have to watch Thomas drift off anymore. Well, I may still do that for kicks…just to creep him out.


Cherry & Chamomile Nightcap

Ingredients
Makes 1 serving

1 cup milk
½ cup tart cherry juice
1 chamomile tea bag
Dash cinnamon
Drizzle honey

Method

In a small pot, bring the milk and cherry juice to a simmer. Add the tea bag and steep for a few minutes. Add a dash of cinnamon and a drizzle of honey and sleep well!

4 comments:

The Pilot's Daughter said...

My little sister has issues sleeping since starting college this fall. When she visited last week she would go to bed at 4 a.m. and wake up at 4 p.m. Next time I'm definitely going to make her this as a night cap!

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Aw, that's no fun for anyone. Hope this helps her!

Anonymous said...

Tried this, it tastes great! However, as I get towards the bottom of my cup, instead of it being liquid, it's very weird and clumpy. Any idea why? Should I continuously stir it?

Unknown said...

mi397 on running cloud,caterpillar colombia,gymshark sale canada,zapatillasmizuno,onrunningtilbud,keenfactoryoutletcanada,caterpillarschoenenbelgie,keen sandale,sapatilhasaltraportugal ix262