8.25.2011

Greek Shrimp, Tomato, and Halloumi Skewers


After much anticipation and excitement, I had my very first acupuncture session last week. One of my best friends has been singing the alternative medicine’s praises for years now, so I decided to give it a try. Yes, acupuncture is relaxing, and yes, it relieves countless health conditions, but can someone please explain why I couldn’t stop thinking about kebabs and skewers?

With each prick of the tiny pins, I imagined alternating pieces of vegetables and chicken on a skewer. It almost became a game of acupuncture Twister – right foot, chicken. Left hand, tomato. When my acupuncturist shot electrical waves through the pins, I couldn’t help but imagine grilling my perfectly-threaded imaginary kebabs. Needless to say, I left my appointment feeling like a kebab-craving pin cushion.

When I got home, I made a great Greek feast of shrimp, tomato, and halloumi skewers. Halloumi is a tangy and salty cheese that can be easily grilled or fried, making it the perfect addition to my skewers. After my day of getting electrified and prodded with pins, it was definitely fun to be the one doing the skewering and grilling.


Greek Shrimp, Tomato, and Halloumi Skewers

Serves 2

Ingredients

8 shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 cherry tomatoes
8 one-inch pieces of halloumi cheese
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Fresh lemon juice
Oregano

Method

Preheat grill. If using wooden sticks as skewers, soak them in water for about 30 minutes. Thread shrimp, tomatoes, and halloumi pieces on skewers. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper (keep in mind that the cheese can be very salty). Place on the grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side. When done, squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the skewers and season with oregano and enjoy!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! Your blog is great! We have similar tastes!! Someone just recently commented on my watermelon feta post suggesting I look into Hallouni cheese, she was from Cyprus. I will definitely now have to try some!

http://cheesepleasebyjess.blogspot.com/

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Thanks, Jess! You should def try halloumi - being the cheese lover that you are!

Anonymous said...

Chrissy, another winner. I thought I'd have to go to Turkey for the Halloumi (and for what it cost in Memphis, I could have bought a first-class ticket). Anyway, tried the recipe last night, and it was great. I'll probably fix it again for a Labor Day BBQ with friends. So easy and tasty. I simply took some tramadol for pain. But the shrimp was much better.
David

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

David, so glad you liked it! It's my new favorite dish to grill :)

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Dorisk8s, I bought it at Whole Foods. You can buy it online here http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/prodview.aspx?prod=587

Hope you like it!

JEN said...

This looks delicious. I can almost taste it.
I've never used Haloumi. Is it similar toFeta in texture?

Chrissy @ My Fare Foodie said...

Hi Jen, it tastes very similar to feta and the texture is almost the same - it seems to hold together a bit better though, which makes it great for skewering.