1.31.2011

Seared Scallops with Black Quinoa and White Asparagus in an Almond Brown Butter Sauce



I wasn’t in the mood for a colorful dish today, so I went with a black and white theme. When I look at this plate, I cannot help but think of the Seinfeld episode, “The Dinner Party,” where Jerry equates racial harmony with a black and white cookie. I live under the constant impression that a Seinfeld reference can present itself in almost any life situation. Anyway, Jerry claims, “If people would only look to the cookie all our problems would be solved. Look to the cookie, Elaine. Look to the cookie.”

This meal was a cinch to prepare. As I cooked the black quinoa in some chicken stock, I cleaned the scallops and thoroughly dried them in paper towels. In a saucepan, I seared the scallops in a mixture of butter and olive oil for a few minutes on each side, and then set them aside. I then threw in some garlic and blanched almonds into the now brown butter sauce, and sautéed them all together until they too browned a bit. The nuttiness of the black quinoa and the almonds perfectly complimented the freshness of the scallops.

Does this plate evoke feelings of world peace and racial harmony? Does it serve as a pioneering mode of improving race relations? Or would you just eat the scallops and call it a day?

Look to the scallops. Look to the scallops.

No comments: